Yesterday, I bought a book: Ikigai, written by Hector Garcia and Francesc Miralles. Today I finished this book, and it was truly one of the best reads I have had in a long time.
So, I thought I would delve into a bit about what the book entails and describes.
An Ikigai is the reason for your existence. It is the purpose you strive for in life, your meaning and role on this earth. Since your birth, your ikigai is said to be present inside you, and your life’s journey is the quest to find this meaning, and grasp it with open arms and never let go. The importance of finding this meaning is shown throughout, as it can lead to you living longer, and more fulfilling lives shown by the centenarians in the book.
However, the writers stress that you should not put stress upon yourself to find your Ikigai. Whilst it is important to look for it, attaching a negative emotion to it could undermine its importance. Moreover, the method of finding your Ikigai is through trying new things and experiencing life to the fullest. The book uses stoicism to remind you of your morality. One useful phase I found recently was ‘moment more’ or remember death. It is impertive to live life to the full, because this is the only way to live without regrets.
One of the most valuable quotes that I found from this book was “ichi-go ichi-e” which means ‘this moment exists only now and won’t come again. I will begin to implement this into my life, as to live in every moment and not take a second for granted. Only then, are you not afraid of death.
Finally, here are the tips that the book explains at the end to live a good life. I won’t go into too much detail, but these will be a reminder to you, and myself, how to live a good life. There is no secret other than to live, but these can aid you in success.
- Stay active and don’t retire – this keeps the brain active, swaying away from ageing.
- Take it slow – “walk slowly and you will go far”.
- Don’t fill your stomach – eat until about 80% capacity, this will keep you healthier.
- Surround yourself with good friends – good people = good results
- Get in shape for your next birthday- Hormones are released during exercise, making us happy.
- Smile – 🙂
- Reconnect with nature – Trust me, it will recharge your batteries
- Give thanks – This will help you be happy
- Live in the moment – today is all you have, make it worth remembering
- Follow your ikigai – your mission is to discover it.